Sunday, August 24, 2008

A Most Humbling Experience

We had the first of our two bridal showers yesterday. The mere thought that people want to do this for us is astonishing. My gratitude to these ladies for putting so much time and effort into planning the party is something I will never be able to adequately convey in the thank you notes. I'm glad this is happening to me at 41 instead of 21, because I know I appreciate it more.

I'm equally astonished that people actually go out and buy us presents. I've been on the planning end of something like this, but never the receiveing end. I've hosted my share of showers and attended even more, but if you've never been in the bride's seat, I can't explain to you how humbling it is to realize how kind people are being to you - and to wonder what you've done to deserve it all.

Every single gift was lovely. That I had my fiance there (evenif he was the only man) and my future stepdaughters to help me open the gifts was a gift in and of itself.

I truly can't say enough nice things about my mother's wonderful friends who served as hostesses. If any woman out there reading this is looking for a worthy organization to which she can devote her time, I suggest finding a local chapter of Beta Sigma Phi - an international service sorority to which my mother has belonged almost as long as I can remember. Unlike the sororities you join in college, these ladies gather to perform public service projects that better the community and also focus on personal development. They are without a doubt some of the finest women I know and I am not exaggerating when I say they're like an extra set of aunts.

God knows they've looked after my mother - and by extension me - through some tough times this last year, which makes it even more special to share the joyous times with them.

No comments: